Are you looking for a solid way to make money online?
Selling digital products is the way to go. If you’re interested in selling digital products, here are the five most popular types to consider:
- Website templates
- Online courses
- Graphics and illustrations
Did you know that the digital media market revenue is projected to reach $627.60 billion in 2023?
Digital products are growing rapidly. People love him.
Luckily, creating and selling digital products has never been easier. Thanks to platforms like Shopify, Etsy, and AI tools.
Yes, you can use AI tools like ChatGPT, Bard AI, etc. to instantly come up with solid product ideas, design those products, and start selling them right away.
If you’re looking for the ultimate free guide to selling digital products online, you’re in the right place.
In this guide, you will learn;
- What are digital products and their benefits
- 11 of the BEST digital products you can sell
- 2 BEST ways to sell those products online and much more
Are you ready? Let’s jump into the details.
11 Digital Products That Are Always in Demand
1. eBooks and PDFs
If you’re looking for a passive income source, selling eBooks or PDFs is a great choice. If you’ve experience in your industry, you can make money by teaching through eBooks.
Know your target audience and their interests; you’re ready to go. Once you know your audience, you can create an exclusive eBook that appeals to them.
You can check out our BloggersPassion eBooks to get an idea of how to create money-making eBooks. We have been selling SEO books, affiliate marketing books, etc. for a long time.
Pricing is important to sell more eBooks. You don’t want to price your eBook too high or too low.
If you’re just getting started, do some competitor research to find the average pricing of their products. That’s precisely how we priced our eBooks and made quite a ton of sales through our books.
Benefits of selling eBooks:
- You need little to zero investment. Consider eBooks and PDF files if you want a low-cost digital product idea.
- They’re relatively easy to create and can be sold for a high price online (through your website, social media networks, online platforms like Amazon, and more).
- They’re extremely easier to update. If you want to make any changes or add new chapters to your eBooks, you can easily do all that.
- You can always offer special discounts and promotions to first-time buyers to boost your eBook sales.
- You can share your knowledge and help other people in your industry to get better, make money, or lead a better lifestyle.
2. Online courses
Consider selling online courses if you want a digital product with high-profit margins.
eBooks can be sold for beginners, whereas with online courses, you can go deeper about a topic.
The best part? With online courses, you can scale things.
What does it mean? You can easily add new courses (or additional resources like video materials). Or you can increase the price of your existing courses to increase your overall profits.
After all, you’re the one who can decide the pricing and offer discounts whenever you want.
Here is an excellent example of Ramit Sethi’s online courses, which make millions of dollars each year.
Benefits of selling online courses:
- They require minimal investment when compared to most other digital products. You’ll mostly pay for platforms like Teachable to sell and manage your courses.
- They’re easy to update, as you can add new materials such as new chapters, videos, audio, checklists, PDFs, and more without hassle.
- You can create and sell online courses from anywhere in the world. All you need is a laptop.
- Most professional bloggers often create online courses because they offer HIGH-profit margins, which means you can make a lot of money from each sale.
3. Graphics and creative art
Are you an illustrator, 3D artist, or graphic designer? If yes, there’s a huge market for graphic design and art.
Graphics and art will be used in many ways, including print, books, t-shirts, 3D work, and more.
You can use platforms like Creative Market to easily sell your graphic design and art. Or you can build your own website to start selling it using platforms like Gumroad, Razorpay, etc.
Benefits of selling graphics and art:
- You can build a strong portfolio to attract high-paying clients
- There’s a constant demand for graphics and illustrations
- You can be really creative and show off your skills with unique and appealing designs. You can also get ideas from AI tools like ChatGPT, Jasper Art, and more.
- It lets you work remotely and helps you with passive income if you can create graphic design courses or eBooks.
4. Membership sites
A membership site is an excellent choice if you’re a full-time creator.
They can offer recurring income and help you with higher earnings if you keep adding value to your subscribers.
What is the main difference between a membership site vs. an online course? Recurring income. People pay a one-time price for online courses, whereas memberships require recurring payments.
Benefits of memberships:
- They can work REALLY well if you want to teach high-income skills (such as SEO, weight management, finance education, etc), as they require several months to master.
- The revenue keeps growing if you keep adding more subscribers each month.
- They’re cost-effective
- You can cross-sell other affiliate products to your customers, which ultimately helps you with more earnings
- With membership sites, you can build a community through online forums, chatrooms, etc
5. Website templates
Millions of websites go live every month. Most website owners often look for appealing and SEO-friendly templates and themes.
So, there’s a huge market for website templates. However, you need to price your templates correctly, as it can make or break your sales.
You don’t want to price your templates too high, or you’ll scare away many potential customers. Also, you don’t want to price them too low, or you’ll be losing money.
Experimenting with various pricing options or offering multiple plans is often the best way to identify the RIGHT price.
Benefits of selling templates:
- It is one of the best passive income sources. You create templates and sell them on platforms like Envato Market or Etsy and the sales will come automatically if they’re good.
- You can also upsell additional features to make more money from templates.
- You can design and sell these templates literally from anywhere in the world.
If you’re good at creating videos, selling videos online is one of the best digital product ideas.
Video content is an excellent way to earn passive income and build a successful business. Many YouTubers like MrBeast, Pew Die Pie, etc. make a full-time income from video content.
Benefits of selling video content:
- With videos, you can create an influence on people around the products or services you promote. That’s why most brands and businesses focus on video ads to promote their products.
- You can start selling videos with minimal upfront costs, as you need a good camera and a mic.
- You can use videos to make money in many ways. You can sell those as memberships or online courses or upload them on sites like YouTube to generate ad revenue.
- You can build an engaging audience, as video content is MORE engaging than textual content.
7. Stock photos
Many businesses (and large websites) often look for high-quality and high-resolution images for their websites, marketing materials, and other projects.
So if you’ve good photography skills, you can make money by selling stock photos. You can take high-resolution images of nature, wildlife, beaches, desserts, or wherever you want.
There are many websites you can use to sell stock photos online, including;
- Envato Elements
Benefits of selling stock photos:
- It offers passive income, or you can use it as a side hustle to make extra income.
- Stock photos can be used by businesses and people worldwide, which ultimately means that many people can use your images.
- You can sell stock photos from anywhere in the world.
- There are no upfront costs to sell stock photos, as you can sell them immediately.
If you’re an artist and passionate about music, you can make money online by selling music tracks.
Selling music online not only gives you a passive income but it can also help you build audience, grow your brand and connect with many influencers.
Benefits of selling music online:
- Music is always in demand worldwide. You can make money in plenty of ways. You can upload to platforms like Spotify or even YouTube. The more downloads (or views) you get, the more money you can make.
- Compared to other types of businesses, it is cost-effective.
- It offers the ability to make a living from your passion.
- There are plent of platforms you can use for selling music online. You can use paid ads like PPC ads, Instagram ads, etc., to reach a wider audience.
- Global accessibility and availability as you can reach a worldwide audience.
There are a ton of web designers who depend on selling fonts to make money online. You can make money if you’ve web design skills in creating stylish, elegant, or appealing fonts.
Why? Because typography is one of the most important aspects of a design. It can be used in many ways, including website logos, online content, paid ads, and advertising.
Benefits of selling fonts:
- You don’t need a lot of investment, as your creativity is the MAJOR thing that can help sell fonts online.
- You can reach a global audience by selling fonts, as great fonts can be sold and distributed worldwide.
- It helps you with passive income.
- There are many platforms like Etsy, Creative Market, Envato, FontShop, etc., to sell your fonts. So you don’t need an existing audience to sell your fonts.
- You can also upsell by creating an eBook or paid video content about how to select and pair fonts
Offering services is different. Selling services as digital product is different.
You’re trading hours for money when you offer services (such as content writing, web design, etc.). On the other hand, treating your services as digital products makes them easier to sell.
For example, StreetParking.com sells its personal training programs as a monthly subscription service. That way, their customers can easily access their fitness programs on their computers, smartphones, or tablets.
Benefits of selling services:
- They’re easier to sell when you already have customers or an audience. You can upsell your services as products.
- You can earn passive income. You can also sell a service as a product with a recurring monthly or annual fee.
- You don’t have to spend your time offering your services. You’ll create a service-based product (such as a fitness workout program, copywriting training, SEO training, etc) and offer it to your customers.
- Above all, it helps with better brand awareness. How? When you sell a productized service, you create a new product with your name (or brand) on it, which can ultimately help you increase brand awareness.
What comes to mind when you hear Semrush, Ahrefs, or HubSpot?
These are all SAAS (Software As A Service) platforms that sell software.
The earnings are unlimited when you’re planning to sell software. The only downside is you often need a team of 5 to 10 members to build great software. So, the upfront cost will be huge if you want to create and sell software.
Apart from the costs, everything else is great with the software. You can earn millions of dollars annually (like Semrush, Ahrefs, etc.) if done right.
You just need to find a GAP in the market and create something that solves your target audience’s problems. You can also start with MVP (minimum viable product) if you want to sell software.
Here’s an excellent illustration of an MVP.
As you can see above, an MVP should be easy to create, cheap to build (at first), and then easy to iterate.
Benefits of selling software:
- You can generate high profit margins, especially if your software has high demand. For instance, Semrush generates multi-millions of dollars selling their SEO software.
- If offers excellent scalability, your software can be sold to unlimited customers. Also, you can reach a wider audience and generate more revenue.
- It’s a passive income source. Once your software generates buzz, it automatically generates income even while you sleep.
- You can always upsell, cross-sell or add more features to generate more profits.
Read: SaaS SEO: The Ultimate Guide to Do SEO for Your SaaS Business
What are Digital Products?
Digital products are those products that can be delivered electronically, such as eBooks, WordPress themes, plugins, music, software, etc.
In simple terms, ANY product that can be downloaded online can be considered a “digital product.”
A ton of people are creating digital products such as eBooks, online courses, plugins, etc., because there’s a HUGE market for these products across the world.
Why Sell Digital Products Online?
Here are some of the BIGGEST benefits of selling digital products in 2023.
- They are more profitable than physical products as digital products offer HIGHER margins per sale.
- Zero to minimal investment is needed. For example, you can create and sell digital products like eBooks at zero cost.
- Unlike physical products, you don’t need an inventory. With digital products, people can instantly download stuff to their devices, such as smartphones, tablets, PC, etc.
- You can earn passive income and make money even while you sleep.
- They are easier to create (compared to physical products), and you can update them easily without any hassle.
It is enough said! Here are a few rock-solid digital product ideas to make money online.
How to sell digital products online?
Once you’ve researched what digital products to create, you need to know where to sell those products.
There are many ways to sell your digital products, but we will show you the top 2 ways.
Selling through your own website
Yes, you can use platforms like Amazon, Udemy, etc. to sell digital products like eBooks and online courses, but they charge commission on each sale.
If you don’t want to pay anything to anyone and want to keep all your earnings, sell from your own website.
Luckily, starting a WordPress website is easy and affordable, as you can use hosting like Hostinger, which costs just $2.99/month.
The good thing about Hostinger is that it offers useful hosting features like free domain, 24/7 support, free SSL, backups, and more.
If you are curious, Hostinger offers the following 3 pricing options for WordPress hosting.
- Premium plan costs only $2.99 per month where you get a free domain with 100 GB of website storage.
- Business costs only $3.99 per month where you get a free domain with 200 GB of website storage with a free CDN.
- Cloud Startup costs $9.99 per month where you get a free domain with 200 GB of website storage with a free dedicated IP address.
You can check out our free guide on how to start a personal blog on Hostinger.
And… if you don’t like Hostinger you don’t have to worry, because they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. So you have nothing to lose.
Sales through online platforms
If you don’t have a website, you can use online platforms to sell your digital products easily.
Most people use these platforms when they don’t have an existing audience or email list.
Here are some popular options for selling through digital platforms.
- Shopify: This is the #1 platform for small business owners to sell their digital products. The pricing starts at $29 per month. No transaction fees are using Shopify payments.
- Thinkific: It offers a free plan that includes all basic features. After that, the monthly prices start at $99 per month. Again, there are no transaction fees. If you want to save some money, don’t miss Thinkific Black Friday deals to get up to 33% discount.
One thing you have to remember is that these platforms charge a small fee (or monthly subscription fee) to use their platform.
If you don’t want to deal with technical things like handling payments, building an audience, etc. – then selling through these platforms is a great idea.
FAQs on digital product ideas
Here are some FAQs most people ask about digital products.
What is an example of a digital product?
eBooks is one of the best examples of a digital product. It can be downloaded easily online and people can use different online platforms such as Amazon to purchase eBooks. A few more examples of digital products include;
- Website themes and plugins
- Music and apps
- Graphics, illustrations, etc
What is a digital product?
A digital product is a product that can be shared and sold online. For example, PDFs, online courses, music files, website tools, etc. are all digital products.
What are the advantages of selling digital products?
Some of the benefits of selling digital products include;
- It is cost-effective
- No inventory is required
- The sky’s the limit to earnings
How do you sell digital products?
There are many ways to sell and distribute digital products, including;
- Using platforms like Shopify, Etsy, Amazon, etc
- Using your website or blog
- Via social media platforms
What is the future of digital products?
Digital media is a HUGE market valued at over $600 billion worldwide. As long as people use electronic devices such as laptops, and smartphones – there will be a huge demand for digital products.
Final Thoughts on High-Profit Digital Products
Some digital products like e-books and online courses are always popular. No matter what type of product you want to sell, you need some kind of expertise.
Almost all the digital product ideas mentioned on this page require little upfront investment, and anyone can get started right away.
So what are your thoughts on the best-selling digital products listed here? have any questions? Tell us in the comments.